CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hats off to the Farmers of America!

Well, I've pretty much been a city girl all my life. I was the one screaming in my head "Why are these oranges so dang expensive??!?" when prices went up 5 cents. Now, though, I've been living in a rural community for over 2 years, and I've seen what these farmers go through. I'm not going to get on my soap box, but I would like to say a big huge thank you to all those farmers out there! They work their tails off so that we can have our store shelves stocked to overflowing. Little did I know that every single moment of a farmer's life it uncertain. Too much rain? Not enough rain? Frost too early? Drought? Early snow? Late snow? Not enough people for harvest? Bugs? Superbugs? Equipment breakdown? Demand gone up? Demand gone down? Some of these things sound good, but in reality (I've learned) there is really no good news in farming, until the check finally comes in at the end of harvest for the whole previous year's work. I'm no expert on this, but from the glimpses that I've gotten, I am so proud to be apart of a community that brings some basic necessities to this country. And very happy to be in a community where, at harvest time, I can get all the free potatoes I could ever want! Thank you farmers of America!

0 comments:

Pictures of Us